Wednesday, April 09, 2008

18:58.

When a big story breaks, like these Pulitizer prize winning ones - I imagine you chase it like your soul has suddenly been gripped by a giant cosmic hand. And your heart beats faster yet steadily 'cause you are on the track or in the midst of something that matters. Not just to the nucleus the story directly involves, not just an inner circle, but to humankind, to the world. And as a news hound, as a journo, you know you are on something big. Or think you know, maybe perhaps definitely maybe. But in the eye of the tornado, you are caught up and it's as if your own humanity is suspended as you are whirled up in the greater-than-me.

I'll, in all likelihood, never be that war correspondent I once wanted to be. And honestly, I don't think I fancy so the same way any more. But that in-the-zone feel, will that ever hold me again? Just 'cause I'm prejudiced (and believe rightly so) and believes journ imparts a different essence to the many zones people get into, I feel just a slight tad bit sad.

No comments: