Thursday, December 11, 2003

20:13.

If you can consider JB to be overseas, then I effectively went on my first overseas assignment on yesterday.

Am now in the office, waiting for a call from the UK about the piracy story I chased yesterday. Depending on your leanings, those two sentences may sound exciting or dulled by a been-there-done-that favouring. I would tell you my angle, which is new, but since the article may be held, let's be quiet.

It was a rainy day yesterday. Rained throughout the whole time we were in Malaysia.

For a girl living in Woodlands, JB's a skip and a hop away. So, yes, I did feel slightly so somewhat like, "This is it? My first overseas assignment?"

Ingrate, me. I've been so conditioned by my material world, that's one reason why I need to leave what I have now and go somewhere new.

But guess what? I did enjoy the feeling of being on assignment in a foreign environment, even if it's just JB. Yes, so out of three leads, only one turned up all right and yes, so the photog and driver were feeling rather bummed, as was I, after one lead turned out to be a joke, literally so.

But I liked it. I liked how I felt like I have to swin or sink. For the piracy story, I separated from my photog and driver. Worked alone, posing first as a customer, gaining entry into the little private room where the wares were and asking questions as disarmingly as possible. Then, deciding if I should identify myself.

I liked that "uh oh" that went off in my head when once, I introduced myself to a pirate. His entire face changed and all his kakis stopped whatever they were doing and looked at me. I liked having to think on my feet pronto.

I've already thought of story ideas I could pursue in Melbourne.

....

I questioned a lot about journalism and my role in it. There were times when I wondered about my calling to it too. But thank God, through many little things, I know I've been called to this industry and I have a role to play.

It's amazing how things just work out when you wait, trust, and walk on. God is great.

I'm going to Rmit's Media Studies. On Monday, while en route to work, the IDP representative called me to go down to his office since the Aussie representive was there. I rushed down in a cab.

I wasn't dressed to impress, I was in denim jacket and mini skirt, carrying a backpack, I looked like a kid.

I wasn't equipped to impress. I didn't have my portfolio or resume, two things that normally give me a lot more assurance during interviews.

It all went wonderfully though. I really liked the guy and he accepted me into the programme at the end of the approximately half-hour interview/ discussion.

Have I written that God is great?

He really is.

And just a couple of days ago too, two scholar colleagues informed me that if I applied and get a scholarhip, they are sure I won't have to do a 6-year bond since my course is for only a year.

The bond duration was what deterred me from any thoughts of entertaining a scholarship application. But come Monday, I will speak to my bosses about it.

Yeah, I don't know if I make the cut. My results ain't that great and my performance at work, though not lousy, have had its moments and non.

There's an assuring sense of rest and peace inside of me though. Whatever happens, it's going to be okay. Whatever happens, God is there with me.

This feels so good.

No comments: