Friday, January 30, 2004

20:28.

This is the last post from my office that I will be making for a long time.

Reason's simple - Today's my last day.

So for the last time (till next), from the media conglomerate of Singapore, I blog.

I'm packed up, having progressively taken stuff - CDs, notebooks, magazines, and today, every thing else - home over the last few days.

I've said my goodbyes, sort of, and the truth is that, when I walk out of the news centre, I think I will feel a sense of freedom.

Right now, I'm still feeling the prevailing melancholy that has been at my heart for a few days. I doubt this sense will fade soon but like I shared with a colleague just now, I feel alive.

As I stand here, on my way to a new chapter, it's not fear I feel, but hope. And excitement.

Yes, there's apprehension which flatuates from time to time but generally, I'm feeling... good.

And that's... good.

Hah.

I just deleted all the emails in my Lotus Notes email system.

But I have decided to leave the sign hanging over my desk announcing my name up there where it has hung for a long time.

Maybe it's meant to be a reminder to people that I once sat here. Throughout history, that's what us humans seem to like to do - to leave something behind that tells people that we once were somewhere.

Like vandalising on a tree: So-and-so loves So-and-so, or a scrawl that says XXX was here.

Human nature, building our own empire.

The words are starting to flow again. Being a journalist will never cease to be a part of me.

Here, I feel a slight tinge of sadness, if it is indeed sadness. Maybe it's just the melancholy at work. That's some thing that will always be a part of me too.

It's time to fly, to get off one main track, beat through the forest and find another path, whichever one I'm supposed to be on now.

Physically, I feel a bit of pain in my heart. About to say goodbye. The final one. And it's not that easy.

But not that hard.

No comments: