Thursday, March 13, 2008

1105.

I like walking.

Taking slow strolls on my own time, through urban landscapes or half transformed cities. Just me and my God and my thoughts and His.

When I walk, in my head, it's almost as if there's a still camera just moving on ahead in front of me, fixated on chronicling my still ramblings. It's like some old MTV, where the colours switch between the muted and intense, all the while remaining simply so, still.

Putting my foot one ahead of the other puts me in an optimum mode to think. No one rushing me, no obligation for conversation or facades, just me walking getting somewhere.

I like to think it's a parable of life of sorts.

Oops, U2's Walk On just started playing in my head.

I think I like walking in the same way I like rainy days. Both still the soul in myriad ways. They remind me of the great beyond, of the more than this, of perspective. They quiet me and in their movement, are catalysts of whatever needed funneling out of me at those moments.

I miss walking more. Whereby in Sg, I was public transport bound and did loads of walking. Here, cars are the mode of preference. Hey, no complaints, mind you. Besides the convenience and comfort level, it means I get to wear pretty shoes when I want to :)

It's strange how in my head, I sometimes just recall impromptu scenes of walking to places - At Ang Mo Kio, the town I grew up in... walking from the library back home, talking to myself when I was sure there's no one behind or around; at the open space with the steps at Ang Mo Kio central, towards the bakery and away from the old classic emporium (ren ming, was that its name?); on the road home from the bus stop where I take bus 900.

Maybe it's somewhere tied to independence. Maybe it's just my introverted self enjoying sojourns and trips. It's just very lovely being able to... well, walk.

What say?

No comments: