Thursday, August 28, 2003

13:39.

Excerpt from here:

Bono tells of a recent visit to a exhibition of photographs taken by Anton Corbijn, who has worked with the band on most of U2's album covers. As he toured the show, one portrait caught his eye.

"I saw a picture of myself," he says. "I guess I would have been 21, just about to make one of our first videos, and there was a look in the eye that was really striking, and I think it was naivete.

"And somebody, a journalist standing by, asked me, 'What would you say to that person -- like your son -- who is starting out on his journey?'

"And I said: 'You're right.' And there was no arrogance in that remark because I was right in a way then more than I am now.

"Because you learn fear. You learn to walk your step. You sacrifice your innocence for experience. You think that that is what will make you a better writer. You think that, but you're wrong. Clarity is what makes you a better writer, clear thinking. You have all that, in your first face."

_________________________________________________________

I don't know if experience is a lesser aid to the writer's journey than what is commonly accorded it but I do know this: My innocence is being sacrificed. But I'm not a victim.

No comments: