Wednesday, May 18, 2005

11:47.

Got tagged by hypodermically

And for the record, this is the first time I am consciously aware this tag thing exists o_O but here I am, in the media conglomerate of Singapore, reading blogs (and ljs) to start my day off so why not? :)

1. Total number of films I own on DVD/video:
I assume VCDs count too... um, letmesee.... maybe 20? If we count music concerts, then I'll prob hit about 27.

2. The last film I bought:
Does U2's Rattle And Hum count? It's a concert/ documentary. Otherwise, I really can't remember, I think it's either a VCD of Reality Bites or Crybaby.

3. Last film I watched:
Ray. heh. You know, Ray Charles.

4. Five films that mean a lot to me:

- Reality Bites.

That's my No 1 of all times. It captures my generation for me... angst, idealism, confusion, stupid TV, how modern life is surreal, relationships dynamics... every thing about being 23 and wanting to change the world all your life then suddenly finding that you no longer know what you want.

- The Matrix

It will always be linked to those intellectual expansion and turmoil of the heart and mind that whew, I'm gg to say it, WritCom brought in year 1 of poly. And as I get older, read more and explore more ideas, I am still ever amazed at the metaphors and ideas the whole trilogy presented and packaged. And yes, I admit it, I want to wear leather suits and cool shades, travel dimensions and fight bad guys :D

- Before Sunset

I am a die hard romantic but yet cynical. Before Sunrise and Before Sunset was also both, and brought out both sides of me. There were stuff I didn't like about both flicks but see, I can relate to the characters on the overall. And the dialogue seemed to be straight from my head at times. Why Before Sunset instead of Before Sunrise? Maybe because Sunset is more gritty and real, and I liked how I could see the characters arch develop from the first flick.

- Lord Of The Rings

I can't choose a favourite out of the three but I'm going to argue that the trilogy counts as one film to me because I read the whole whopping book first before developing interest in the movies. When the book hooked me, it was already post Two Towers, pre ROTR on the big screen. LOTR means a lot to me for the same reasons as The Matrix. It articulates ideas important to me and encourages me somehow.

- Edward Scissorshand

Much tears were shed over this Tim Burton directed Johnny Depp/ Winona Ryder strange movie. Since I pretty much grew up feeling like an outsider somehow, I could relate to Edward. Sniff. Such a tragic movie. Sniff. Sniff. Sniff. But so beautiful. So strangely beautiful.


5. Tag five people and have them put this in their journal:
Er, don't need lah. I am an online hermit.

No comments: