Friday, January 02, 2009

18:11.

New Year's Eve.

I tended for most of my life to favor the quiet NYE celebrations. No need for party hats and poppers. Just me and God, loved ones in the house and fireworks in the distance will be a nice touch.

I have a vague memory of when I was a little poppet, walking along with my parents and brothers near some of Singapore's myriad HDB estates because that was a spot where we were supposed to be able to catch fireworks.

This new year, we ambled out of a friend's terrace house in Klang onto the street after hearing those now familiar pops (KL seems to love fireworks at any occasion) and stared - shoulder to shoulder - at the fireworks gong off on our left and right.

They were lower, probably let off from someone's home, but still as glamourously mystical.

And as the last of the lights go off, we kissed and said happy new year before ambling back to the house to while the night away till 4am playing cards, making jokes and just enjoying good conversation.

Too bad we didn't get to go to the bak kut teh shop at 6am. That leaves me still without any klang bak kut teh experience in my life.

But this marks a most unexpected location for NYE and what a blast it was.

Happy new year, everyone.

No comments: