Wednesday, December 01, 2004

01:04.

Monday night. Or Tuesday morning. I was standing on St Kilda's beach for the first time, looking out into the sea and at the gulls and the night lights on the faraway coasts. City Of Blinding Lights came to mind and I started singing it softly.

Melbourne is far from being a city which you write such a song for. Apparently, U2 wrote the song with New York in mind. Yet still, the city lights - even with its lack of harsh glare - seemed to mean something. In its gentleness and softness, perhaps it reflects positively the city and its life to me.

I was with four carloads of OCF-ers and a good number of the boys got dumped into the water. Whether walking or sitting watching the drama, my mind moved to capture every thing photographically in my head and process them to vivid memories. I was aware that every thing that was happening would never again duplicate exactly and for that matter, even being on the beach at night might not happen again for a good long time... or ever.

So I remember, close my eyes and sing the song.

No comments: