Monday, June 12, 2006

11:56.

My parents left PJ yesterday afternoon. After six days of having them in my apt, I kind of got used to it. Well, rather, I got used to it really soon and just liked having them in the apt. The shopping and eating were enjoyable - Ray love helped and ferry us around so much - but the best thing was just having their presence in my home.

I realised that on Thursday, the first day of my two-day leave when after a leisurely wake-up and mamak brekkie together, I walked into the apt and saw my dad at the dining table in the living room, reading the newspapers like he always does and my mom pottering around the house neatening up their stuff like she always does.

Having an empty apt last night and sleeping back in my room instead of the living room felt slightly hollow. The house was again neat without their barang barang but that kind of added to that sense of well, hollowness seems to be the best word.

Mind you, it was a small percentage from how I felt when they left Melbourne after visiting for my graduation and I went back to the very empty 55/ 222. It was a period where I was undecided to leave Melb too or try to stay so I guess melancholy was exemplified.

It's different now. I know that I'm supposed to be here but for a fleeting fraction of a second last night, I wondered how old one has to be, what does it take to not have that small niggly feeling of it's easier to survive back home, let's pack up and go?

Just some honest sharing there.

If you ever been away from your home country, it's likely you know what I mean.

That said, I know I'm supposed to be here and I'm not going to give it up.

My folks' visit was great for me. I really really really enjoyed having them around - Dad's corny jokes, Mom's jibs at me, choosing clothes and stuff for Mom while shopping, seeing Dad enjoy the delish food, seeing my folks and Ray's folks mingle so well, seeing my love and my folks mingle so well :)

I really enjoyed it. Praise God for how good it all was.

They liked the apt, they liked every single meal, they liked Ray's folks, they love Ray, heh.

Friday morning, we went swimming. Have not had such family time for heaps long, I reckon. Not just because I am here but because our family never quite had the culture of hanging out together outside of the home. So it's really hols time that we get to laugh and try new things and just spend 24/ 7 together. Maybe absence does make the heart grow fonder.

I'm thankful. Heaps thankful. Thankful for my parents, thankful for my brother, thankful for Ray, thankful for his parents and brother, thankful for my job, thankful for that new CG we tried which was very enjoyable, thankful for a very good week last week and the special week this week is, thankful for every thing. Thankful for how things work out, how things always work out, for how God is always ever in control and always always has my back. To take some lines from a truly soppy ballad that is hollow in application to human relations but a perfect fit from a saved to the Saviour - He is "my eyes when I couldn't see" and I am "because You loved me".

"The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock!
Exalted be God my Savior!
He is the God who avenges me,
who subdues nations under me,
who saves me from my enemies.
You exalted me above my foes;
from violent men you rescued me."
- Ps 18:46, 47

I will fight for the heart of my King.

No comments: