Tuesday, February 17, 2004

15:26.
Melb time.

The first thing I see in the morning is the ceiling of my room in Singapore. When I open my eyes after blissful slumber, for the slightest fraction of a second, I see that ceiling instead of the one I now wake up to. And then, again for the slightest fraction of a silent second, the sentence "this is not home lah" may roll past in my mind.

I'm not even sure if I see my old room in my mind's eye, with eyes shut, or whether I see it superimposed over reality.

It has been a full week now since I arrived.

I have enrolled and chose my subjects. Am taking:

- Reading Media Texts (compulsory)
- Popular Music & Society
- Asian Modernities
- Race, Ethnicity & Racism

for first semt and:

- Understanding Philosophy: Themes From Popular Culture
- Creative Writing
- Asian Cinema
- Either Culture & Business Practice Japanese or International Approaches To Journalism

for second semt.

I'm inclined to take Japanese since I target to speak five languages by the age of 25 and I'm nowhere near this lofty aim. I also like the language and believe fluency in it will be useful but it is an examinable subject and I prefer not to take any subjects with examinations. None of my other courses require exams.

And Jap is not offered for first semt, which ups the risk factor.

Please pray along with me to make the best choices.

Okay, "work" aside (since studying is now my work of sorts), I am doing well enough. I like my new home, my housemates and I do like the weather.

The price of eating out is disgusting, and the tags on some simple pleasures - $2 for a piece of bak qua - are cut throat but the cool crisp wind - no perspiration! - is very enjoyable.

The days are are long with sunrise at 6-ish and sunset at 8-plus. Since I like evenings and nights, and tend to get work done during this time, seeing the perpetual light was disorientating.

I should or ought to get my internet account in two or so days time. Talk to ya again.

No comments: