Thursday, February 05, 2004

19:37.

It feels like I'm packing up my life.

After five days of lunches and dinners with various lovely people, I finally had time to just stay in at home today.

I'ven't even started putting things into my luggage; I'm just packing stuff into neat bags and containers, but I'm already realising I have a lot of things to take along.

Thus the feeling like I'm packing up my entire life. Or at least some.

And I have a lot more packing, organising and some buying to do.

It's Thursday evening.

Monday evening I fly.

Whew. Time sure gallops along.

But thank God, things are falling into place. I finally got my student visa on Tuesday, and I have bought my air tickets.

Thank God I got a PC laptop instead of a Mac. Was installing programmes and configuring stuff just now in the noon, and I was already frustrated enough when I couldn't get some stuff done the way I wanted them to be.

With a Mac - the last time I actively used one was 18 months ago in my first job - I would definitely be more helpless.

Leaving On A Jet Plane has been playing in my head. Tuesday night, I karaoke-d with Qihui, Yi Ling and Shuhui.

Was going to sing that David Gates classic but we ran out of time. Too many David Tao, Jeff Chang - yeah, my choices. It's amazing to me how I've learnt most of the Mandarin songs I know from karaoke - and obscure old English classics.

I think I'll miss karaoke, hehe, though I can always sing out loud at (the other) home in Australia and entertain (...) Hannah and Germaine.

There isn't much time left now.

I realise I have to make a conscious effort to spend time with my family. Considering how much I know I will miss them, I've not been too good with the family quality time effort.

I'll miss Mom's cooking too, especially the soups.

I'll miss my utterly comfortable bed, bloster, support pillow and my stuffed animals.

Yeah, it's the little things that I will miss even as I get used and find new beautiful little things to appreciate.

I'm sure it won't be hard.

The hard part is putting into form - in this case, words - every scene that captures my heart and makes me smile.

There were nights when I would just sigh happily and thank God when I lay down on my bed (it's that comfortable).

And every time past the last two months when I walk home from the MRT and look up at the sky to see twinkling stars I didn't realise were there, I laughed and felt unspeakable joy rush from my heart.

And the moments when I rush into the rain, and two to five seconds later, truly feel the impact of the raindrops go through my clothes and touch my skin, I chuckle as if sharing a private joke with the Spirit.

Coming home hungry after work days to find Mom cooked.

And looking out at the night traffic scene on the road in front of my house.

So, so many little things, too beautiful for me to justify.

I will miss them, but I know they will always be mine.

Wow.

No comments: