Tuesday, July 12, 2005

10:07.

It has been, ahem, a while since I am in the office this early. And I didn't just step in either, I was in since about 915am.

Here's a link frm ketiak's that I like. The copy got me thinking about something not unknown or strange to me but which I just feel like writing about.

Before that, it's ironic how that link brings you to a page where there's an advert for the reality series Rock Star: INXS, the series to find a replacement for the late Michael Hutchence.

Why it is ironic is because I am in the office this early to catch the live telecast of the pilot, then file (journo speak for finish writing) it before noon so the sub-editors on morning shift can lay the page before they leave.

And ta da, it turns out that despite every one assuming we have all cable channels, no, we don't. We have news and sports channels. Oh, poor mistreated entertainment journos are we. Is there a union for us?

Bygones.

The article talked about what a real rock star is.

Yes, I have my inclinations towards rock n roll and could wax lyrical about its magic but that's not what's on my mind at the moment.

Joan Jett wrote (or maybe dictated) in that article:

"True rock stars shouldn't like to call themselves a rock star. People like Mick Jagger and David Bowie know no other way to be. They don't plan their way of carrying themselves. It's in their bones."

There are some people who carry themselves different. Some set apart in their very essence. I'm not talking rock star. I'm talking about every day folks. You could be an accountant, a homemaker, a IT genius, a writer, a designer, a preacher, a busker, a cleaner, a retail staff... if you have eyes to see, you would notice some people are different.

They walk with a sureness that is unassuming and firm. They move with some sort of grace that even clumsiness can't completely hide. They - whether they show pleasure and joy with a chuckle or a bemused smile - are real. They are comfortable with their skin, and not afraid yet daring to be afraid. All at once childlike and more mature than you ever think you yourself could be. Sometimes.

Growing up, I remember noticing some folks who stood out like so.

And I reckon, know thyself.

Gnothi se auton


Identity.

I'm learning to know who I am in God. Who I am created to be, called to be, the power living in me.

He who is intimate with God is not intimidated by people - That's a favourite quote. Somewhere on my messy table at home, is a scrap of paper, part of an old envelope on which I scrawled those 11 words.

Know God. And you would know yourself.

Hmm.

No comments: