Sunday, February 05, 2006

17:53.

"I want to follow but what does it mean,
To live in this world and keep everything clean.
Nothing I own here is ever my own,
When I live in the mercy and blessing you've shown.
I lay down my rights;
see the world through your eyes,
And fight for the hungry who pay for our lives,
I want to have you in all of my world.
So Jesus consume me,
flow through me,
'cause Now Is The Time!"

- Now Is The Time, Delirious

There's every thing awesome about worshipping the one who saved you to lyrics and music that scream your heartbeat right on. That's one reason why I love Delirious. The lyrics are down-to-earth poetry with heaven-bound, kingdom-focused mentality. Honest and as familiar with desperation as the joy of redemption, those are anointed lyrics from wordsmiths who have God's anointing to play with exceptional musicianship. It's like there's a prophetic anointing on Martin Smith and the band... the songs have that ring of proclaimation, of preparing the way, of tearing down heavenly oppositions with pure, unadulterated I-am-not-ashamed-of-the-Gospel truth. Biblical lyrics releases something.

Sidenote: I love it that on Paint The Town Red, a song that sounds like a defiant roar to the world plus a racuous victory parade, the song of those who know their God can indeed help them take the city, give us "hope when hope is gone", "fill the streets with a holy song", whose blood indeed we are going to pain the town red with... there's this line - "we are an army of God who are ready to die". Pay the price, people, we got to pay the price if we want to shake the world for God.

"And it's not so tough for these ordinary hands,
When we trust someone with extraordinary plans"


The praise is up, fast and rockin', experimental with genres, guitar and amp effects and solid grooves. The worship is not afraid to be slower than even slow, stripped away sounds, clean strings and pads.

I know not everyone find the band their cuppa but I love their stuff. It's no wonder Q music rated well their new album The Mission Bell. They could be big if not for God, the reviewer wrote. Beep, wrong answer. They are giants of faith because of God.

Why call a bunch of musicians giants of faith? Ok, I know not their personal lives but from the fruits of their music and behaviour, I cannot believe that they are ikan bilis of faith. And the vital-ness of worship can't be understated. It's so much! It's so so so much more than what we can experience now too! It's touching God! Touching and entering into His Glory! Meeting HIM! Not just singing lyrics, but proclaiming truths over your life, over our lives, over people and country and a whole world. Every verse sung with the heart and spirit's understanding is a wave of fresh, life-giving waters over your soul!

Yesterday, after Grace and I went for City Harvest worship service (7,000 people showed up for service!) featuring Delirious, I found myself remembering 2004's Easter Camp and what I shared with OCF after we got back - Of how during the worship, I found myself in a state. A state of oh, I feel the limit of my skin! 'cause I can't jump high or hard enough, or lift my hands up high enough or sing loud enough... the whole of my very being longed desperately to touch heaven, to jump right out of my skin and be unrestricted in worship.

You know something? Yeah, sometimes, the worship bands play songs we don't know or in a style that's not our style but we can still praise God. Sure, the band should be part of bringing that atmosphere of worship (another reason why worshippers are giants of faith) and if you are in a church - like I am - where the musicans (myself included) are not able to perform to your "expectations", yeah, it feels uncomfortable. But I guarentee you this - That if you just tell God and mean it: "Yet will I worship You, I will praise You, get to the heart of worship", you can still touch God! And you will bring much delight to our Lord.

There is a testimony of the Spirit that we should obey. When God in you prompts you to raise your hands, raise them. To kneel? Kneel then. To jump? Jump.

If the only time you can jump is when everyone around you is jumping, then something is wrong.

There is a spontaneity in the Spirit that we need to recognise. The bible says do not quench the Spirit, this applies too in worship.

I love worship, I really really do. I love it. Love telling God aloud how awesome He is, love declaring how great and mighty and big He is, love telling my Savior I love him so. It's awesome. A line from Delirious' Majesty went:

"So here I stand, knowing that I am Your desire"

:D

Imagine that! We sing God You are our desire so often but do you know this? You are God's desire!

How can we not sing?

No comments: