Thursday, February 02, 2006

21:56.

In about two hours, we will be into Friday in this time zone. Come Friday, that means I have exactly three more work days as a journo. Life now? It's not that easy but not that hard.

I'm doing this food review on this little cafe at Plaza Singapura that is like a concept cafe, conceptualised to be like a little Melb cafe. They serve Grinders coffee, Flat White for $2.80, same standard price.

When I first walked by and saw the Grinders label, I stopped and said out loud on the spot: "Grinders!"

That's what happens when you are a coffee fan and Melb spoilt your taste palette.

But you know, it's not about missing the coffee. It's about a lot more else.

I had a thought the other day and I brought it out to r a y when we were sharing how we both do miss Melb. Does our being out of Melb mean we are in a separate boat now from you folks in Melb? We are fighting battles that are same yet not. We are all in His boat, heading the same way but well, you know....

That said, I know this is hard precisely because we don't feel like we left the boat 'cause we emote, care and feel for planet uni and planetshakers and all that God saw fit to show us and all we experienced in Melb, in church as individuals and as a couple. And it is hard precisely because, I don't speak for r a y here, but for me, knowing that God is not calling me back to Melb this year, having seen for about a month the wonders your have there... well, coming back does feel like a leaving, a departure, a separated-ness.

And yet it's not that hard after all.

I thank God for:
- The chance to profile an old lady, handicapped, wheelchair-bound tissue seller who attributes to Jesus her smile, a smile that continues despite earning max $500 a month and all her less-than-rosy living conditions. One of my last three articles.

- The executive ed messaged me over the company system: "Hi S k y e, I appreciate your reasons for leaving journalism. Thanks for all you have done for *insert name of paper*. Gong Xi Fa Cai"

- A drinking story was assigned to me where I had to made the rounds at the pubs, drink and test out reactions. With God's strength, I stood up and said no, I'm not comfortable with it, come on, I've just decided to leave journalism because I'm convicted I have a full time calling, I'm just not comfortable to do the article. The supervisor accepted it.

- I owned the co over $1,000 'cause since I quit so early into the financial year, I have to pay back the leave I took. After deduction of the pay-back my notice period (the number of working days in the two-week notice was very few since Jan's pay was already given and Feb has a number of PHs, leaving only five days of working days) will cover, the sum went down to about $400. Then two days later, the HR staff emailed and said I'm eligible for a certain bonus so the sum went down to around $230. And now, after I'm allowed to claim two Off-In-Lieus I won't be taking, it looks like I either pay less than $100 or nothing.

[edit at 1218pm, Jan 3, Friday: Excerpt from an email I just got: "After adding all the payments including your pro-rated AWS, PH and RD encashment, you have a balance of $57.18." Praise God :)]

And word has got around, of course, that I'm quitting but for every cynical/ huh?/ bochap reaction I get, salve comes in the form of others who says it's an inspiring testimony.

It's not that easy but it's really not that hard.

Not as long as "on Christ the solid Rock we stand when all around is sinking sand".

My Jesus, in You I find my home. In You we find rest and salvation and inspiration, strength to face tomorrow, faith to keep walking, hope to win a generation.

You are my Rock, You are my King, You are my God.

Keep us sharp and use us, Lord.

Amen.

No comments: