Wednesday, August 24, 2005

16:57.

There is something about 5 o clock that I really like.

Maybe it draws back to the five years (three years of afternoon sessions in primary school, then two in secondary school) of getting off from school around 5pm.

Everytime I am outside in the open at 5pm-ish, nostagia wraps itself around me automatically. And whether consciously or not, almost casually, images of that much younger me with schoolbag on, school uniform, white shoes and socks making my way home in Ang Mo Kio floats to a heightened awareness.

5 o clock - I remember the paths home, remember lopping home chatting to other kids sharing the same path home, remember walking past the shops I do during the secondary days, remember the record store, the store with the catch-a-soft-toy machine I spent too much money on, the other store which stood apart from the rest out of the line where I parted with too much money from my posb account on those (groan) celebrity cards dispensers.

The evening sun, an orange glow which turned so gloriously beautifully blue if I lingered till past 6.30pm and 7pm is when the sun goes out.

I remember the walks home.

Seems like walks home are always special to my heart and head.

There's a magic at 5pm which I feel, even when all I did five minutes ago was to stand at the window next to the lift landing and stare out at the world outside.

See the 5pm sights - day slowing down to a close, people going home, the air becomes languid as does the heart.

Homebound is a great trip to be on.

So very precious.

*muack* to GOD.

I'm so very glad so many of us are on the same journey home.

No comments: