Tuesday, October 18, 2005

13:47.

My day started at 7.25am; someone else's days ended forever a few hours earlier.

Was woken up by a call from the office. A hotline caller had just called them - Someone jumped down at an apartment block near where I stay. The police spokesperson was uncontactable, could I just go down and check it out?

Sure, no prob.

Brushed teeth, washed face, pulled on jeans, tee, and lugged my bag - notebook, press pass, pens, camera - over my right shoulder and I was out of the door in less than five minutes.

I walked.

My ears open for any wailing or sirens, my eyes skimming what's ahead, looking for any thing to confirm the news or debunk it as the work of a prankster.

I walked past old folks doing taiji, kindergartens whose walls could not contain the children's glee at some nursery rhyme.

I walked.

And I found them.

Not the body, but people in shock and grief. A group of about eight young 20-somethings huddled near some benches, another two older men some distance away hosing down a spot on the ground.

Instinct is right at these stuff, found out later that was where the body was.

Approaching people who just probably heard or seen a friend or family jump to his death is not something any one fancies, I reckon. And less so when you are there on work, having to identify yourself as a reporter and trying to get info.

A girl, eyes rimmed red, shot me a look and waved me away. I tried again, this is my job, I try, that's what I always have to do. No go. I walked to the two men hosing down the ground, no blood could be seen, whatever cells that spilled out were washed away. They talk a bit, before shutting up.

I called the office, they drove off, I climbed stairs to knock on doors to ask for eyewitnesses.

The world is so normal though one just voluntarily chose death a while ago.

I did my job, I tried, I left and walked home when told I can drop it, we don't have enough to write a piece.

I returned to my home, sat down at my dining table, started eating the noodles Dad bought me. I wondered how the deceased's family will ever do something as simple as this again. I wondered if they will sit at the dining table and be remembered of their loss, I wondered if they will bear to walk along the same corridor their loved one jumped down at, I thought the family members must had left earlier with the body and left the friends behind. I wondered what happened.

On my way back, I had accidentally stepped on that big puddle of water and I flinched. Flinched because that was water that washed away someone's remains. In a while, that ground would be dry, nothing left to tell a story with.

Kids will skip over it, aunties, uncles, everyone will walk over it. No one will cast a second glance at it except for those who know.

And I wonder how they would ever live there again.

Suicide is a real deal to me but thankfully, not as real as it is to those folks.

There is nothing more to say.

No comments: