Thursday, March 29, 2007

18:27.

I've not kept up with the new bands coming out for quite a long while. Way I see it, the classics and old school rocks very well and always satisfy and still even amazes, surprises and awe me and there are so much I have yet to listen to that the archives can keep me sated without needing to really find new bands.

Then last last weekend, when Germie was in town and we were in F C U K, I heard a song playing that caught me up like a high school soccer game and prom night and swirled me around and around like a great impetus teenage adventure that made my little heart swell and want to burst. Then another song played and I noted the unusual disco elements that stilled and welled at intervals, and what surprised me was that I really like the song when I've always hate all dance. Then the third song played and the fourth with a burst of dance in its chorus and the continuous brilliance got to me.

Noting Germie singing along, I asked her "who's this?". Thankfully, she gave me the info or I'd gone over to the boutique staff for the music info.

That band was The Killers.


Ray and me went shopping for music last Sat and we listened to both the new album Sam's T own which we both fancied but it wasn't the album I heard so we went to a second music store where Hot Fu ss was avail and whammy, it was the one.

And that song that grabbed and swung me around merrily with a pout is Mr Brigh tside. Which is playing now. Heh.




On the same music tome, R a y read about a new band called Arcade Fire in NYT and was totally intrigued 'nuff to down lo a d a few tracks to sample. They have quite different stuff and almost strangely, I thought, a David Bowie influence somehow, perhaps it was the vocal distortion and delivery. Then Ray showed me a few of their vids and golly, Bowie sung with them on a song called Wake Up, which really hit it off with me. Golly, I love the emoting wave of sound.

Any way, we are happy campers 'cause we couldn't find Arcade Fire stuff in Msia but I scored both Funera l and Neon Bibl e at Gramophon e yesterday for only SGD17.95 and SGD14.95.

:D

I like anthems, they have heart.

Pardon my long sentences today. I've got my advanced driving test tomorrow at 430pm. Would be squeezing in one more driving lesson at 2pm before I go back to Msia on the 8am bus on Sat. Gosh, the week really just swum by.

6 comments:

Germaine said...

Aw YAY, you like the Killers! I'm slowly getting Mr Brightside out of my system.. I was into it for the longest time. Their 2nd album has a really different sound though.

Anonymous said...

hehe. I thought u looked like a fan the way u were happily singing along! I liked the 2nd album too, that's next on the list, but the 1st album had a bigger hook for me :D (pssst, next time we can sing along to non mat rock then :P hehe) - skye

Germaine said...

I like them alright, but the way I am with certain songs/artistes is that I need to listen to them repeatedly until I'm through with them, then move on. Mr Brightside is still lingering, and Somebody Told Me is gonna be a constant earworm for some time to come..

Anonymous said...

Heh, I get like that some times too. Mr Brightside is VERY addictive. - skye

Anonymous said...

you DONT know the killers?! aww man.. *face palm*. They are pretty old news i thought but then again i've kinda lost it with new(er) music too. For example, i just learned who rufus wainwright is..

-marcus

Anonymous said...

i don't keep up lah but tit for tat - i knw rufus wainwright for a few years alrdy. hehe - skye