Monday, September 26, 2005

18:57.

It is a Monday evening on the 269th day of AD2005. I sit on the 7th floor of a 11-storey HDB flat; in 1 of the 6 apartments that are located on this landing. It has been 7 years since we move here; I'm 24 years old, 1.7metres tall and 51 kgs heavy. I'm 1 of 4 who lives in this 4-room flat - There's mom and dad, 58 years old, and brother, 26 years old. I live on an island that 's 697 sq km big with a population of 3.5million and growing. We moved from 3rd world to 1st within less than the 40 years since we declared independence.

I used to study in a PAP (People's Action Party, the ruling party) kindergarten school like most kids did; then I studied six years at H o n g Dao Primary, sadly now defunct; and 4 years at M a y f l o w e r Secondary School; 3 years at N g e e Ann Polytechnic and 1 year in R M I T, Melbourne.

I work at a media conglomeration, which owns most except one of Singapore's various languaged newspapers. I first entered their doors when I was 19.

That was as an intern in year 2000.

My lecturer told me I was probably the third student in the history of my faculty to get an internship "despite" being from a polytechnic.

I resumed journo duties in 2002, left in 2004, returned in 2005.

All in all, I've clocked over 2 years of work with this company.

I have roots, I have memories, I have treasures in this job, in this company, in this home, in this land, in this family. Familiar scents, familiar faces, familiar sounds, familiar way of life, familiar loved ones. Familiar feelings familiar objects bring on.

And yet Melbourne calls still.

Even before Melbourne, that call inside to put aside everything, burn the oxen, chop up their yoke (rem Elisha's call?) and move on has been there.

I'm counting the cost more than I ever had and the price is clearer to me more than ever. Yet, surely whatever it takes, the cost is lesser than the cost of disobedience to the call.

One life to give. 24 years already gone.

Dad, when?

What? All. All of me for all of You.

How? By faith and through providence.

Who? You, you, the flock on Your heart.

Where?

No comments: