Monday, September 26, 2005

19:28.

Yesterday, Pastor J read out a copy of the senior pastor's letter to the church about his decision to step down. Pastor Thomas has debated long and hard and decided that his family and himself will be moving to Perth next year to study three years in bible school.

Pastor Tho was one of God's servants I admired and respected. He's 40, wasn't the best of kids when he was younger, studied till his 'O's before taking on the world not expecting that God will take on a rebellious kid like him and change his life. He used to be the children's pastor, he taught himself to play the keys and guitar, 5 years ago, he took on the senior pastor position.

The church has been through a lot since its inception. In the chinese church, I'm no doubt sheltered from the problems the main congregation go through but he's not.

He always had a contagious smile on his face, he would smile to greet you even when you could tell his weariness from the lines on his face, what with, God knows best. During worship, he is the only one constantly right in front, jumping, raising his hands, passionate for God even when the congregation seems humdrum. Three weeks ago, I visited the main congregation since I wasn't playing that week. As I got caught up in praise and jumped, I was suddenly aware that some folks were staring and I was aware that in the whole hall, there's only me in the back and Pastor Tho right in front who were jumping up and down.

Not that jumps are accurate measures of faith level, mind you. I was just struck by the image.

I don't know how hard it is to pastor a church where faith level generally seems complacent. I don't know how my pastors do it week after week, day after day, faithfully, surely and constantly.

Pastor Tho once told me that people ask him how he always have that joy in him expressing in that easy laughter, ready smile, welcoming demeanour. And his answer was that he know who he is and who he has been called to be.

I'm excited for him. Excited for him and his wife and three young kids about to take this leap of faith. It's not easy, and it has got to be hard leaving, not just because you are walking away from your comfort zone but because you have got an ailing mother here in Sg. Even while knowing the church needs prayer now as it seems like we have to seek outside pastoral employment for the first time in 14 years, the involuntary reaction is to feel glad. Feel glad for him. For his family. Smile at how a brother is obeying the call of God. Be thankful for this pastor who led by example.

Godspeed, Pastor Thom and God bless.

No comments: