Monday, June 07, 2004

12:02.

When I first reach consciousness after a night of slumber, my mind has a far-reaching capacity. Literally so, I can feel my mind move up from where I still lie and then out, manoveuring through the distance between the room door and me and then out of the door. And I can somehow see a picture of what lies beyond my sight through my mind.

Yesterday morning and today's too, my mind went on its usual check-out-what-lies-beyond ritual and what it saw seemed to transport me elsewhere. What I know and what was projected was different. I know that once out of my room door, the kitchen is to the right but, my mind was seeing it to the left. I was disoriented for a moment, trying to get a grab on my surroundings for a while before I realised what was happening.

In my mind, I was home. Home in Woodlands, in Singapore. And my mind somehow chose to navigate those familiar settings instead of Vic St's. I heard the microwave door shut. In my mind, I saw Mom doing the action but I knew it was that... all in the mind.

And yet, yet, as I lay there, I knew I would miss this place and everything it has been to me and shown me thus far when I leave. Whenever that is. A friend called my almost-anxious predisposition towards my future "final-year syndromes". That's as accurate a description as any, I reckon, but one thing, this is my first-year too.

*shrugs*

Have a good day, folks. An essay is calling my name.

No comments: